Our Lady's Mirror

Spring & Summer

& Autumn 1933

The procession of the Blessed Sacrament during the Centenary Pilgrimage July 1933
Spring & Summer & Autumn Number 1933 Winter Number 1933
We must apologise to our readers for the non-appearance of "The Mirror" this year; but so much has contributed to this delay; one reason being that so few have given any help towards the cost of printing, and as we have so often stated, it is impossible for "The Mirror" to be published unless it is supported, and lack of support naturally leads me to infer that it may no longer be needed. Then, this has been such an extraordinarily busy year; there really has been no time left over from matters of pressing need to write up even this little paper; with the result that it has been put off and put off, until we find ourselves having to combine the Spring and Summer number and send it out in the Autumn! We hope this will not occur again. Among numerous pilgrimages this year was a never-to-be-forgotten parochial visit from S Silas, Kentish Town, when the organist and choir, most of the servers, as well as a large part of the whole congregation came. This is really a great experience, and one that might be followed by a great number of parishes. Besides praying daily for the sick, and the requests of the numerous people who have sent in intercessions, we are regularly interceding for the reunion of Christians; peace and confidence in Europe; and that a body of priests may be formed who will give themselves to prayer and study and the work of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. The Centenary Pilgrimage in July was very well attended, considering all other attractions and visits arranged by the Congress for the preceding week. Over five hundred pilgrims came to Walsingham on that occasion, July 19th. The special train was cancelled, as it looked very doubtful if the necessary numbers would book, and so we decided to revert to the more ancient, and what proved to be the infinitely nicer, way of coming, namely, by road. We should possibly have filled our train after all; but the experience of coming by motor buses was amply justified, and there is little doubt that this mode of reaching Walsingham will be adopted for the future. Some pilgrims came overnight, and Father Lester Pinchard gave his first address after Vespers on the Tuesday evening. The next morning there was the usual general Communion and the private masses of the priests. A large marquee had been hired for the occasion, as on the day of the Translation [1931], and was pitched on the Hospice lawn, where the 'Cathedral tent' had been placed last year. Here the meals were served for the midweek and the weekend Centenary Pilgrims. On Wednesday 18th, after breakfast, the Stations of the Cross were made in the Sanctuary Garden, and about 11 o'clock cars and coaches began to arrive for the Pontifical High Mass, which was sung in the parish church by Bishop O'Rorke. Father Methuen was assistant priest; Father Patten, deacon; and Father A W Leeds, sub-deacon. Father Lester Pinchard preached to a church packed with pilgrims. At the conclusion of the mass over five hundred pilgrims, the Sacred Ministers, preceded by the Abbot of Nashdom, OSB, attended by some of his monks, and over sixty priests and a number of religious men and women went in procession through the village to the Shrine singing the rosary, where the Salve Regina and Te Deum were sung. After lunch, intercessions and the sprinkling of the pilgrims followed as usual. At 4.30 the Hickleton altar pavilion was used for the first time in Walsingham for Solemn Benediction. Preceding this and following it there were two processions. The first consisting of the priests and monks accompanying the Abbot of Nashdom and Bishop O'Rorke to their fald-stools, and the second that of the Blessed Sacrament, which consisted of priests with lights, the deacon and sub-deacon supporting the officiant bearing the monstrance, which was carried under a scarlet canopy, borne by four laymen - the Duke of Argyll, Sir John Shaw, Sir William Milner and Captain Garrett. Scouts from Stepney lined part of the route. Then followed a last visit to the Holy House, and the day pilgrims set out for home. In the evening Vespers were sung pontifically in the grounds at the pavilion, and then there was a long procession in honour of Our Lady, in which the beautiful image made last autumn for this purpose was carried. A station was made, as usual, and the Magnificat was sung before returning to the altar for Benediction, at the conclusion of which all the pilgrims went to the Holy House and sung the Credo, Salve and Te Deum. On Thursday again there was a general communion and a last mass with music, prefaced by a final address by Fr Pinchard. Then the veneration of S Vincent's relics, and farewell at the Shrine. The Saturday following saw the arrival of the Centenary weekend pilgrims, led by Fr Reggie Kingdon. They followed the programme which is becoming more or less general at the weekend. After the first visit and supper, there was an address in the Outer Church of the Sanctuary, and then confessions. The next morning the general communion and priests' masses. After breakfast the Stations of the Cross, and then the pilgrims go in procession to the Church for the parish mass. On this occasion Fr Kingdon preached. After the intercessions and bathing as usual, and then Benediction in church at 3.30. Tea and the last visit to the Holy House preceded by veneration of S Vincent. So the Centenary Celebrations at Walsingham were concluded. article: 'À Banneux' photographs: part of the procession of the Blessed Sacrament at the Centenary Pilgrimage, July 1933 [above]; the new chapel, and 'Our Lady of the Poor', both at Banneux [Belgium] gifts: The Halifax Altar (click here to read more of its history); silver-gilt chain, cross and jewel for the Master of the College (click here to read description)