The Holy Well click to enlarge
A High Mass of Requiem followed by the Absolutions was offered in S Mary's Parish Church for the repose of the soul of Lord Halifax. He became a Guardian of the Holy House in 1931 when that body was first formed, and he took an active interest in the development and work of the Sanctuary. We are still hibernating at Walsingham and hardly any pilgrims or visitors have ventured into bleak East Anglia since the late Autumn, despite the fact that we seem to be favoured with as much, if not more, sunshine as most places in these northern regions. A few, however, have visited the Shrine, and unfortunately we have not been free from accidents: for some reason the steps leading to the Holy Well have always been a trap to the unwary, especially to those interested in the stones embedded in the walls of the Holy House. Some of these people have an unfortunate knack of walking while gazing up at the stones and then pitching down the steps to the Well. We have had several unfortunate occurrences of this kind; some very serious, as one recently, when an old lady of eighty fell head-over-heels down the whole flight, breaking bones and hurting herself considerably as may well ne imagined. The Trustees have decided that we must without delay do all we can to prevent any repetition of this sort of thing, and as ropes, etc, seem to be useless, we are putting up an iron rail and gates. It is a very unfortunate expense - one we can ill afford - but a necessity. We much regret - while at the same time expressing our good wishes - to announce that Mr Derrick Lingwood is having to give up, at least temporarily, the very onerous task of Pilgrims' Secretary, as he expects to be leaving Walsingham in May, when he hopes to be raised to the diaconate. Bishop O'Rorke, who is one of the Guardians of the Holy House and Joint Treasurer with the Administrator, has had to leave Blakeney owing to his health. For some time he has been far from well, and it is thought that if he lives in a milder climate he would be much better: and so he has gone to the West Country. It is very sad for us at Walsingham, as he was frequently here, and for several years, apart from all he has done for us at pilgrimages and in other ways connected with the Shrine, he has come with the diocesan's cordial approval to administer the sacrament of confirmation to the children of the parishes. We are glad to say that he will still be able to act as Co-Treasurer of the Sanctuary funds and he has every intention of coming to Walsingham when possible. It will interest readers to know that as far as we are aware the most Northerly Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham is in the parish church of Inverary, Scotland; while the most isolated is in the church of Tristan da Cunha, on the gospel side of the sanctuary. photograph: The Holy Well discovered during building operations in 1931 [above] gifts: iron gates for the south-west chapel; an altar from the old S Monica's Home in Brook Street, Holborn; image of S Joseph; several relics; more stones for incorporation into the walls of the Holy House

Our Lady's Mirror

Winter 1934