Our Lady's Mirror

Autumn 1950

The Chapel of Quainton Hall School
Quite a number of Priests have been staying in the Hospice this summer, and for a time there were ten and twelve Masses a day in the Pilgrimage Church. The Jubilee of the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham was moderately well kept and the Church was well filled for the High Mass which was offered on the Feast of Our Lady’s Immaculate Heart. We were sorry, however, that more members of the Society did not make the effort to be with us. The Knights Gate Café opposite the Shrine is now under new management. The Misses Bloxhams, owing to ill health, have retired; many of those who have visited the café will regret the cause of their leaving; they are, however, still living in the village we are glad to say. Intending visitors can now book rooms at the café and should apply early if accommodation is desired. The Bursar was away having a much needed rest when the copy for this number was being written, but, owing to the strike that is now months ago, [it is] nearly time for him to be packing again. We would like to take this opportunity of saying how fortunate we are in our printer and his staff – The Sutton Press, Sutton, Surrey; who are always most patient, anyhow, as far as we know! And that is saying a lot if you realise the trouble we put them to – and always most helpful and anxious to please. There exists a mutual confidence between the Press and the Editor, which helps so much. Four of the twenty stalls to be erected in the choir, as readers already know, are now in place and the arms and names of the Fellows occupying them are emblazoned on the back panels and add much to their beauty. Before the war one or two parishes intended to erect a stall for their own priests who were Guardians of the Shrine. This can still be done, and perhaps others would like to put in one or more in memory of friends; particulars can be had from the Administrator. People have complained of the darkness of the Shrine at night, as we had very few lamps put in at the time of building. We are now increasing the number of points. [beneath a photograph of three views of a late 12th century image of Our Lady, at the Victoria and Albert Museum is this paragraph written by Eric Maclagan, one of the original Guardians, and Director of the V&A]: Wooden statuette, said to have come from Langham Hall, near Colchester. Height 1 ft 6 in. Registered number A79-1925. Late XIIth century. For the type, compare the larger French figures at Gassicourt (near Mantes) and St Denis; and the numerous figures published by R Hamann in the Marburger Jahrbuch, III, 1927, p 77. The closest to the London statuette appears to be the figure which is (or was) at München-Gladbach, in Westphalia - Plate XXXb. The statuette was bought by me for a very small sum at a minor London Saleroom and presented by me through the National Art- Collections Fund to the Museum. Eric Maclagan. [Fr Patten's comment]: This picture should be compared with pictures of OLW on the early seal of the Priory. One cannot but be struck by the likeness, and it has been suggested that it might even be a copy of the original image in the Holy House. [Unfortunately this photograph cannot be reproduced on this website for copyright reasons.] The Editor and the Printers regret the lateness of this issue, due to a dispute in the printing trade. articles: A H P, 'The Shrine of Our Lady of Mellièha'; 'Indulgences'; Brother Barnabas, CR, 'A Hitch- hike Pilgrimage [to Walsingham]'; Mother Ariadno, 'The Renovation of the Ikon of Our Lady "Kaloujskaye'; 'The History of the Origin of the Ikon of Our Lady Kaloujskaye' photographs: The Chapel of Quainton Hall School [above]; a late 12th century image of Our Lady, at the Victoria and Albert Museum [see penultimate paragraph of text above]; five photographs of the Shrine of Our Lady of Mellièha